Sunday, October 11, 2015

For the oppressed


My heart is bitter, my tears are for you.

In my life, in the world I live in, I have not felt the pain you felt.
I wouldn't know your loss. I couldn't relate to your difficulties.
I cannot put myself in your place, I cannot degrade your concerns.
I can't imagine living where you are, I can't feel the fear you feel.
I don't have the courage you're left with, I don't have your place to know.

But my heart weighs heavy for your story.
My heart is torn at the sight of your weariness and trauma.

Many girls, women and men, are captured, tortured, abused and raped daily.
I watched a video regarding the Yazidi women that were enslaved by the ISIS.

I am deeply distressed for them.
I am really really upset at this.
I am truly brokenhearted, I am disappointed;

I long to speak out for those who don't have a voice, but I don't have a platform to begin.
I suppose I fear being alone, I fear the ignorance of people.

A few days ago, the topic of ISIS came up in a conversation between me and a few classmates. One of them was a Muslim. She's very innocent, but very ignorant.

Upon bringing up the subject of the ISIS, she said it was made up, and that they're not real, etc. When I mentioned human trafficking, she said 'can we please not talk about this? It doesn't have anything to do with us.' She seemed disturbed by the topic, but not in the way she should be. 

I've mentioned the topic of human trafficking to my other friends previously. It seems like no one knows what it is. Maybe it's due to the fact that New Zealand is a liberated country, or maybe this generation doesn't have a care about what's outside their own world or maybe it's those who know but don't do anything about it.

At this, I'm very appalled. I'm shocked to know that there are people who don't care and people who don't want to care.

Human trafficking and persecution are two things that make me cry, but I admit, I forget about it too easily. I resume to my world that's free of such chains and distraught. This is why I'm disappointed - in myself, for being full of myself.

"The LORD also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, A stronghold in times of trouble;" - Psalm 9:9

No comments:

Post a Comment