Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Malaysia '15

*This photo is of my hand, taken in Auckland City Art Museum. I like how it ties in with the theme, I actually took this awhile ago, and figured it matches the theme considering there's a whole yellow section. Also, I love how there are different colours, to me it represents Malaysia being a multicultural nation. I love how it's a hand up with different colours as well, as it shows willingness, courage, change and democracy.


Two days ago, thousands of Malaysians in different parts of the world attended an event called Bersih 4.0 and yesterday was Malaysia's Independence Day.
You see, I am what some would consider a banana, or an abc (American-born-Chinese) - and I'm not even in America, never been there, wasn't born there, nor am I a Chinese!
I am a hybrid-cultured-being; I was born in Kk, grew up in a cave in KL (not literally) and spent my pre-teen years and adolescence in Auckland, New Zealand. Simply put, I am a westernized Malaysian.
Honestly, I don't know what Bersih really is about. Initially, upon hearing the word, I think of the literal meaning in Malay, which means 'clean'.
I envision the purpose of being a part of such an event is for a better Malaysia. It's this season of the year, that Malaysians come together and act upon being 'one Malaysia' or 'satu negara'.
Though it's a very thoughtful gesture to attend Bersih 4.0 in another country other than Malaysia, I think we need to go beyond a simple thought or attendance.
Here is a (supposedly) influential, decision-changing, and inspiring message/reminder - to myself, and to those who are studying abroad.
While I was living in NZ during my teenage years, I detested Malaysia. Not for the common reasons: the government, weather and dirty environment. But I hated Malaysia because I never loved Malaysia, I never found Malaysia a lovely place, and my childhood memories didn't bring back any lovable memories about the nation and culture as a whole.
When I turned 16, I returned with my family midway through 2012. In the beginning, my hatred towards the place, people, culture and all was apparent. However, shortly after, I fell in love with Malaysia. Yes, Malaysia truly Asia, that's the place I fell in love with.
Three years after, now, I'm back in Auckland, New Zealand, for university. Upon coming back here, I've set my mind and future plans on returning to KK, Malaysia. Now that I'm here for around half a year, I'm starting to question my sureness. When asked, I mentioned how there's a 60% chance I'll return home, and a 40% chance of me staying in New Zealand, or living in Australia or even Singapore. But I was mistaken.
Many Malaysians I met who came here to study told me they want to and intend on residing here. My friends who are studying abroad have also said they may not return to Malaysia.
And only recently, I've come to understand what has been said all along; the 'good', skilful and full-of-potential Malaysians keep leaving.
Today, I made an unwritten promise that I will return to Malaysia, unless God plans otherwise. Whether I find a significant other here, or someone who comes from elsewhere, I intend to go back to Malaysia.
A part of my purpose is to be in Malaysia to make a difference. You see, our generation has the key to change the future of our nation.
That's where you come in.
You, who study overseas; I know life seems exciting, you have your independence. Education is much better than Malaysia, you meet people from different walks of life, different nationalities and so forth.
But can I challenge your decision of not returning back to where you came from? You, I need you. We all need you, we all need each other.
What makes Malaysia Malaysia, is the people. It's you. It's every single one of us. Without the people residing, it's not Malaysia.
I know the government is corrupted, the crime rate is infamous, the land is filthy and ruined, the people go beyond familiarity. There's the economic problem, the lack of excellent education, the incredibly hot weather, and the cons can continue..
However, there's a formula.
There's a way to revoke the state that Malaysia is in, and well, you are a vital part of that formula.
We know the general idea of what's bad and what's good. Need I say, our country is in a bad state. But it's not to the point of hopelessness. We have hope. But we need to come together, the ones who are there, and
those who are scattered - us.
You see, the other nations are supposedly prosperous or advanced, simply because 1. They have the advantages of having a multitude of skillful people from other countries to invest in their own nation. 2. The nations that are succeeding, it's so because their people are investing in their own country. (Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea).
We were given the opportunity of studying abroad, let's return to create better opportunities. Let's set the better lifestyle we want to live, let's bring in what Malaysia doesn't have. Or what it already has, let's make it better.
Our generation can take a stand. So here's a reminder and promise to myself;
Come back home// Go back home
Janji Kita tahu Kita siapa.
'Janji kita tahu' is a short film by dmingthing on YouTube. It is so on point, do watch it. I hope we would all come back, and be the generation to start the significant change in our nation.
"When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy. Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed." - Proverbs 11:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment