Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rant: Facebook friends

HEY :)

Sorry I haven't been updating, I don't actually go on the computer on weekdays as much anymore. So it's most likely I''ll update my blog on weekends. But I just started my holidays! So yipee :) ( it's only a week though :/ )

Anyways, recently, I've been getting several friend requests. And I realized that I would like my facebook to be only for people I know, and friends in general. Like I've got so many friends who have TONS of friends, like over a thousand. And it's like WOW. that's really alot of friends. Facebook friends, I mean.

Facebook friends in general is pretty much people who want to know you, people who knows you or people you already know. They aren't exactly ALL friends. Because if they were, you would talk to that amount of people on a daily basis. And many times, that doesn't happen.

I used to accept anyone - just as long as they have a decent amount of mutual friends. But some other people would accept literally anyone. Even losers with stupid fake identities, people with 'hot' profile pictures or some random person from Australia that has random friends all over the world.

Many people actually look at the sum of facebook friends people have, and use that to round up their impression of you. I admit it, I've done it before. But then usually, you'd realize that not everyone on that list actually are their friends, or sometimes not even people they know.

My point is, what's the point of having facebook friends that you don't know. I mean, it should be a privilege to be someone's friend. I've been asked a few times before, whether I have alot of friends, the truth is, I don't. I really don't have many friends. I've got many good friends, and best friends. But not many friends. I don't consider people friends that easily.

I mean being friends with someone comes with commitment and benefits too. You can't just have the title for nothing. I remembered I was talking to Steph' once about this mutual guy friend of ours. He was starting to annoy Katie and Helen, and kinda me too. So Steph asked one day, why don't we like him? and I said it's not that I don't like him. He just doesn't benefit me as a friend.

I mean friends have limits too. And some of you may know, I don't have a good sense of humour. And people can really get on my nerves when they make stupid comments. Like this guy seemed to only be jumping from one crowd to another, and he doesn't give me benefits of what a friend can give me. He won't be there for me, he won't listen to me, he won't actually understand me. He's just there to joke around, say hi, or make me seem like i'm not so alone. I don't need friends like that.

That's what I mean by having benefits from a friend. Does it not sound familiar? That person you call 'friend'? I mean is he/she actually there for you? Have you guys actually had a proper conversation that lead somewhere? Does this friend respect and understand you? Not just someone that joins your crowd, or says hi, or makes jokes.

So yea, I don't count people as friends for nothing. In fact, I don't count many people as friends. I only have 416 facebook friends. And I just deleted some. Like people I know, but people I never really have had a proper conversation with. I realized that I know every single person on my friend list.

So yea, I'm being more.. private now. I only accept people I've met, know of and am friends with. :) Besides, it's better that way. Because it means it really puts my facebook to use. The whole purpose is to connect with people you know. And think of it that way, if most of the people on your friend list are your friends truly, it's more likely that they'll message you, post on your wall or 'like' your stuff :P so yea!

Anyways, that's my rant on facebook friends! :S

goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment